Diesel odors and stains are often hard to remove from clothing. What is worse is that it can also be a bit dangerous if this is not done properly. Since diesel can make your clothes more flammable than usual, you need to handle them with care. Thus, learning what can remove diesel fuel from clothing and how to remove diesel from clothing is a big must.
Will diesel stain clothes
If you or your spouse works around machinery or cars, there is a big chance that your clothes are a serious mess every time you get home. Since the chemical composition of diesel is different from that of regular gasoline, it makes it much more likely for it to stain.
Aside from the fact that diesel stains clothes, it also gives off a more pungent smell because of the nitrogen and sulfur compounds found in it. This is why diesel evaporates faster.
Does diesel fuel come out of clothes
Trucks, motorhomes, generators, farming equipment, construction equipment, boats, trains, and others are running on diesel. Diesel is used if you ever need something with an added punch. If you have ever experience working with diesel before, you surely know that it is infamous for its odors and stains.
It is already bad enough once diesel leaks on the garage floor and stains it but there are also times when diesel can also find its way on your clothes. Diesel fuel tends to be a very nasty stuff that is not easy and simple to clean. Special cleaning solutions and methods are necessary to get rid of pesky stains and make diesel come out of your clothes.
Does gasoline evaporate off clothes
Whether you are a driver who fuels up regularly at the gas station or you are a mechanic whose work involves repairing vehicles, everyone will tend to spilt gasoline on their clothes every now and then.
Sadly, gasoline is not just odiferous since this can even wreak serious havoc on your clothes. If ever if this happens to you, there is no need to worry because gasoline can evaporate off clothes and there are some other things you can do to further remove it.
Blot any excess gasoline first and soak it in a mixture of equal parts of hot water and vinegar. Wash the affected clothing separately and air-dry it outside the house.
Is the smell of diesel fuel harmful
Diesel fuel is based on hydrogen. Being exposed to diesel fumes even for a short time when you add it to your car or clear up a small spill can cause temporary irritation to the eyes, respiratory tract, or skin and can even trigger nausea, dizziness, or headache.
Unfortunately, long-term exposure to diesel fuel may lead to some serious health problems including lung cancer, kidney damage, and increased risk of heart attack.
What takes diesel fuel out of clothes
There are times when it is not only the smell of diesel fuel that is tricky to remove from thick fibers of work shirts and pants. Diesel stains tend to set quickly that can be very hard to get rid of. Diesel is oilier than gasoline so it has the tendency of sticking around and forming larger stains compared to its fuel counterpart.
You can use commercial cleaners to pull the grease left behind by the diesel out of the affected clothes. These cleaners can seep further into the diesel stain to eliminate it from the work clothes’ tough fibers. The good news is that you can get these commercial cleaners at relatively affordable prices and they even function as good odor removers.
How to neutralize diesel fuel
Diesel fuel doesn’t smell at all like the everyday fragrance you wear anytime you are going on a date or to work: they smell awful! And the last thing you wanna do is to ruin your day with the offensive smell of diesel. If you have diesel stains on your cloth and you would like to learn one of the quickest ways to neutralize the offensive smell, check below for details.
- Soak up as many diesel liquids as possible using a rag or paper towel.
- Make a solution from the mixtures of hot water, ammonia, vinegar, and baking soda in a container.
- Shake thoroughly so they can mix properly.
- Pour a small solution on the stained spot and leave it to sit for a few minutes.
- Wipe the treated spot with a clean cloth.
How do I remove diesel stains from clothing
If diesel stains end up in clothing with a dry clean only label, it is highly recommended that you take it right away to the dry cleaner and find the exact location of the stain. Take note that it is unsafe to use a regular home dry cleaning kit for clothes with diesel fuel stains.
Here are the steps to help you remove diesel stains from clothing:
- Pretreat the stained area using an enzyme-based liquid detergent or solvent-based stain product. Use a soft-bristled brush to rub the stained area. Let the product sit for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Wash the clothing normally with the use of the hottest water that suits the fabric as stated on its care label. Check the garment carefully for any odors and stains. Do the process again as necessary.
- This next step is only optional, particularly if the odor of the fuel still lingers. Soak the stained clothing overnight with sufficient water for it to be completely submerged together with one cup of baking soda. Launder the garment the usual way.
- Place the garment on a clothesline or in a dryer if no odor lingers anymore. One option here is to air-dry the garment outside to get rid of the door. If odor traces still linger, you can air-dry this on a clothesline or drying rack inside. It is never recommended to put the garment in an electric or gas dryer.
For heavily saturated garments giving off heavy odors, fill a deep sink, plastic tub, or washer with warm water then add one cup of non-sudsing household ammonia. Cover the solution or close the lid if possible.
Allow the garment to soak overnight or for a few hours. Drain the washer then wash the garment the usual way. Don’t use chlorine bleach during washing or soaking since toxic fumes are produced when you mix bleach with ammonia.
How to get rid of diesel smell in washing machine
Washing clothes soaked in diesel in the washing machine can make your washer reek of fuel. Washing machine odors can transfer to other clothes that you put inside the washer and make your house smell like diesel, too. Good thing that it is very simple to remove diesel smell in your washing machine.
- Put two cups of distilled white vinegar in a container.
- Add a half cup of baking soda to the distilled white vinegar then mix thoroughly. Baking soda and vinegar are natural deodorizers that get rid of odors with no need to use dangerous chemicals.
- Set the washer to its hottest setting and fill the drum with water.
- Add baking soda and vinegar to your washing machine. Close the lid and let the washer run through complete cycle.
- Repeat this process until the smell of diesel is completely gone.
Other diesel stains removal guides
How to remove diesel smell from skin
Yes, shit happen! you can accidentally spill some diesel on your body: although you can easily wash the diesel fuel away from your body, the odor will remain there for some time. Well, you don’t have to worry about how to remove the smell from your skin because some interesting home-based items you do not know can help you remove the stains. Check below for details.
Removing odor with coca-cola
- Soak your hand in coca-cola for about 10 minutes.
- Wash your hands afterward with soap and water.
If the stain occurs on the part of the body that cannot be soaked, damp a towel with the coca-cola and rub on the stained spot, then leave it to sit for 10 minutes and clean with soap and water afterward.
Removing smell with baking soda and vinegar
- Make a solution from the mixtures of a quarter cup of baking soda and 1 cup of distilled white vinegar in a bowl.
- Soak your hands or feet in this solution for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Wash hands or feet with soap and water afterward.
Removing smell with mouthwash
- Make a solution from the mixtures of 1/2 cup of mouthwash and a bucket of water.
- Soak your hand or feet in this solution for about 10 minutes.
- Wash hands or feet afterward with soap and water.
How to remove diesel stains from concrete
Check below for details on how to remove diesel stains from concrete.
- Sprinkle cat litter liberally on the concrete surface making it is evenly spread across the surface.
- Leave it to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Sweep the cat litter with a broom and dispose of it properly.
- If the stain persists, repeat the process.
Make sure to clean diesel stains in a well-ventilated area and also, while disposing of the cat litter and diesel remnant, do not dispose of close to combustible materials.
How to remove diesel from suede
Diesel stains on suede are one of the hardest to deal with and may not budge at the first attempt. It is not like you really have much of a choice though because you may have to choose between losing your suede shoe or cloth or going through the cleaning process. If you have decided to go for the latter choice, well that’s great! All that is required of you now is to follow the steps below.
- Sprinkle cornstarch liberally on the stain, sprinkling at the surface with one tbs at a time, till you can cover about a quarter or half-inch layer.
- After you are done with the application, leave the cornstarch to sit for about 10 hours.
- Brush off lifted stains and cornstarch remnants on the treated spot.
How to remove diesel stains from block paving
Check below for information on how to get rid of diesel stains from block paving.
- Make a paste from the mixtures of a quarter cup of warm water and a powdered laundry detergent.
- Scoop out some of the paste with a scrub brush and use it to scrub stained spots.
- Leave it to sit overnight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Oxiclean remove diesel fuel?
Yes, Oxiclean will remove diesel fuel from any surface. However, you should know that Oxiclean is an enzyme cleaner and may not be very effective as natural degreasers like rubbing alcohol that is good for removing grease and oily stains.
Does sugar remove diesel fuel?
No, sugar cannot remove diesel fuel. Although crystallized sugar and water mixtures are very effective at removing grease and oily stains, there’s no well-documented account of whether sugar can remove diesel fuel or not.
Will dry cleaning remove diesel?
Yes, you can dry clean a diesel-stained cloth. However, you need to know that using home dry cleaning kits is highly risky because clothes stained with diesel fuel are flammable. Hence, it is best to take such cloth to professional dry cleaners and point out to them the kind of stains you have on your cloth.
Curious to learn how to remove gutka stains from shirt, how to get red kool aid stains out of clothes or how do i get turpentine out of clothes too?
“Your home is a representation of yourself, and it should only be filled with clean items that you enjoy and use”
Professional cleaning expert