Are you wondering how to remove Corian stains and bring back your beloved surface to its beautiful and shiny glory? If yes, consider yourself lucky.
Today, you will learn how to make your Corian stain-free all over again.
What is Corian countertops made of
Corian is the brand name for a specific kind of countertop known as solid surface and DuPont invented it in 1967.
When you speak of a solid surface, this is an engineered or manmade stone material. Corian or solid surface counters are made by combining acrylic polymers with stone-derived materials and other minerals. The acrylic polymer mix will be poured into molds to form sheets with a thickness of half an inch.
There is a consistent composition all the way through, which means that the material is solid that is precisely the same inside out. The unique blend allows for several cool benefits and features that you cannot get from other kinds of countertops.
Every manufacturer has a different “recipe” for their Corian but the final result is the same kind of countertop material.
Is Corian countertop laminate?
No, the Corian countertop is different from laminate countertops. Corian countertops are usually stronger and more expensive than laminate countertops. Also, the Corian countertop is an upgrade to a laminate countertop.
Can you use car wax on Corian countertops?
Yes, you can use the car was on a Corian countertop: just make sure it is applied on the surface in a circular motion.
Does Corian stain
Yes, Corian does stain but the good news is that you can easily get rid of the stains most of the time.
Is Corian stain resistant
No, Corian is not stain-resistant. The material may be tough but it is not resistant to stains and other chemical damages.
What can remove Corian stains
The simple mixture of 2/3 water and 1/3 bleach can remove almost all Corian stains.
How to get rid of stains on Corian
Are white countertops hard to keep clean? The following combination can get rid of stain son Corian with no need to use strong chemicals or bleach. You can use this on a white Corian with no need to worry that it will affect its color.
However, if you have a colored Corian, you need to test this first in a hidden spot to be sure. The recipe should also be mixed as needed. Avoid storing it for later use.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda together to form a paste.
- Spread this paste on the stain.
- Allow it to sit for 24 hours.
- Gently scrub it while rinsing then repeat as necessary.
How to remove water stains from Corian countertops
- Put equal amounts of water and white vinegar to a spray bottle then shake it until everything is mixed completely.
- Spray this water and vinegar mixture directly to the water stains on your Corian countertop.
- Wait for several minutes to let it penetrate the water stains.
- Use a cleaning cloth to wipe away the water stains.
You can also use a lime remover to get rid of hard water buildup. These limescale cleaners will be able to help eliminate pesky water stains. In general, these types of cleaners are acidic that can break down limescale formulation on the Corian surface.
- Spray the limescale remover on the Corian counter.
- Wait for 5 minutes before wiping it down.
- Rinse the counter and dry it afterwards.
- You might need to apply the limescale cleaner several once to get rid of all traces of the stain.
How to remove turmeric stains from Corian
The following methods must be used with care as these can be slightly abrasive.
The first method is to use baking soda paste.
- Prepare a paste of one part baking soda and one part water.
- Apply this on the countertop and allow it to sit for 15 minutes before you scrub it off.
- Pour white vinegar or lemon juice for additional scrubbing power.
The second method is to use Magic Eraser.
- Use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or any similar product to gently scrub the stain until it is removed.
- Magic Erasers are extremely fine sandpaper and scrubbing them vigorously on the stain might remove some of your counter’s gloss.
How to remove bleach stains from Corian
- To remove bleach stains, try using a scrubbing powder that contains oxalic acid.
- If this is not enough, you can add bleach to water.
- DuPont also recommends the use of the solution of half water and half bleach, which means that you can use such a strong solution to get rid of stains on your Corian countertop.
How do you remove heat stains from Corian countertops
- For slight heat stains or burn marks, you can use a light abrasive scrubbing sponge and light abrasive cleaner that is safe and recommended to be applied on Corian. Avoid using harsh abrasives on your Corian counter.
- For deeper heat stains, seek help of a Corian countertop dealer or a solid surface contractor. Repair technicians will sand the area with heat stains and polish it to make it look new again. Avoid using solvents and other harsh compounds.
How to remove super glue from Corian countertops
Super glue stain is not a regular type of stain that you can easily remove, especially when they are on hard surfaces like countertops and they are completely dried before they get your attention.
To remove dried super glue stain (which is the hardest) on Corian countertops, one of the best ways to get it removed is by using a nail polish made completely out of Acetone. All you are going to need is the nail polish and an old knife. Discussed below are the simpler guidelines to follow when using Acetone-base nail polish as a cleaner.
- Pour the Acetone-based nail polish on the affected surface.
- Use the old knife to scrape off the stain.
- Depending on how much of the glue stain you have on your Corian countertop, repeat the process until there’s nothing left on the countertops, and make sure you wipe away all scraps between each repetition.
In as much as the first method is easier and faster, it has to be done with extreme care so that you don’t end up scratching your countertop, causing more damage. Check below for a more safe and effective way of getting rid of superglue strains on the Corian countertop.
Items you will need:
- Microfiber cloth
- Pour hot water in a bowl or sink and dampen the microfiber cloth or towel in the water.
- Withdraw the towel and wring to get rid of excess water.
- Gently lay the dampened microfiber cloth on the affected spot so that the heat can liquefy the already hardened glue.
- Leave the cloth on the treated spot for about 15 minutes.
- Use a disposable towel to wipe off all liquefied glue. It is necessary to use a disposable towel because wiping it off with any reusable cloth will damage the fabric.
- Repeat the whole process until all the stains are completely lifted.
- Dip a cotton ball or rag into the bottle of Acetone to get it dampened.
- Dab the dampened cotton ball or rag on the affected spot until the spot becomes soaked.
- Do not rub, just leave the Acetone on the treated spot for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour soapy water in a bowl or sink and dampen a towel or microfiber cloth in it.
- Use the dampened towel to wipe off all acetone/superglue remnants on your countertops
Warning!!! Corian countertops are very sensitive and are not to be cleaned with abrasive cleaners.
How to remove ink from Corian countertops
No doubt, ink stain is one of the toughest stains to clean and the best way to get rid of this kind of stain on hard surfaces like countertop is by using bleach. While it is recommended not to use diluted bleach countertops, it will be safe if you dilute the bleach with water if you are cleaning a Corian countertops. Check below for information on how best to clean a Corian countertop with bleach.
- Make a solution from the mixture of half cup of Clorox and half a gallon of water.
- Soak a microfiber towel or cloth in this solution.
- Wipe the affected surface with the dampened towel and leave the solution to sit on the treated spot for about 5 minutes.
- Soak another towel in a bowl of warm water and wipe the treated surface with it.
- Wipe off all lifted stains remnants afterward with a dry clean towel.
Check whether it is stated in the instruction manual of your Corian countertop to use bleach or not before application. Even if it stated that it can be safely used, it is advisable to test spot the bleach on the less visible part of the countertop before application.
How to get Sharpie off Corian countertop
Sharpie is a permanent marker, thus, I wouldn’t promise you that the stain will come out easily. If you have a sharpie stain on your Corian countertop, your best option is to use an ammonia-based cleaner, warm soapy water, or cleaners that are specifically made for cleaning countertops. Below is carefully explained how you can safely use both warm soapy water and ammonia-based cleaner to get rid of Sharpie stains.
Using warm soapy water
- Make a solution from the mixtures of warm water and 3 drops of liquid dishwashing detergent in a bowl.
- Dip a microfiber or soft-bristled brush in the solution and wipe the affected spot in a circular motion with the dampened microfiber cloth.
- Rinse off stain remnants on the treated spot with clean water thoroughly and dry afterward with a clean dry microfiber cloth.
Using ammonia-based cleaner
- Make a solution from the mixtures of 1/4 of ammonia with one gallon of water in a bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Soak a microfiber or soft-bristled brush in this solution and gently wipe the affected spot with it until the stain is completely lifted.
- Rinse the treated spot thoroughly with clean water.
- Dry afterward with a dry clean microfiber cloth.
How can I remove Candle wax from Corian countertops
Compared to every other stain discussed so far in this overview, candle wax stain is the easiest. You can get rid of melted candle stains on Corian countertops using any plastic spatula or liquid dishwashing soap. Check below for information on how they can be applied in the best way.
Using plastic spatula
- Dip a plastic spatula in a bowl of hot water for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the plastic spatula warms up, remove it from the water and start to gently scrape off the candle wax from the Corian countertop until there’s no more sticky wax on the surface.
- Wipe off all lifted wax then clean the treated surface with a microfiber cloth dampened in warm soapy water.
- Rinse with water afterward and dry the surface with a dry clean microfiber cloth.
Using liquid dishwashing soap
- Make a solution from the mixtures of dishwashing soap and warm water in a bowl.
- Dampen a microfiber towel or cloth in this solution.
- Wipe the affected surface with the dampened towel until the wax is completely lifted and rinse afterward with water.
- Absorb every liquid stain remnant on the treated spot with a dry clean microfiber cloth or towel.
How to remove nail polish from Corian countertops
If you accidentally spill nail polish on your Corian countertop, you can easily get rid of the stain with a non-acetone-based nail polish remover. Check details on the application below.
- Pour the nail polish remover on a microfiber towel and scrub the affected spot gently until the stain is gone.
- Wipe the treated spot with a clean microfiber towel dampened in soapy water to clean the surface off all stain remnants and rinse afterward with water.
- Absorb all liquid from the treated spot with a dry clean microfiber towel.
How to whiten Corian sink
To return your Corian sink to its original sparkling white color, make use of a liquid household bleach diluted with water. Check below for information on how they can be effectively applied.
- Make a solution from the mixtures of three-quarters of liquid bleach and one-quarter of water in a bowl and pour in a spray bottle.
- Spray the affected spot with the solution and leave it to sit for several hours or overnight (Just make sure it is not left for more than 16 hours).
- Clean the treated spot with a dampened microfiber cloth.
Bonus: If yours are marble, not corian, please read our how to whiten marble that has yellowed guide.
How to fix burn marks on Corian countertops
This kind of stain happens when you place a hot pot on a kitchen countertop or you place a hot iron on the countertop. This kind of stain is usually hard to remove and your best option is to use mild soap and baking soda. Check details on the application below.
- Scrub the affected spot with mild soap to help get rid of as much burn mark stain as possible.
- Make a paste from the mixtures of water and baking soda.
- Apply the paste on the affected spot and leave it to sit for a few minutes.
- Rub the affected spot with a microfiber cloth until the stain is completely lifted.
Bonus: you can also make use of a non-gelly white toothpaste and a dampened towel or cloth. Apply as instructed for baking soda in the previous section.
How to get a scratch-off Corian countertop
In this article, I have suggested scraping stains off Corian countertops twice, a method that can leave dome scratches on your countertop if not carefully done. In this section, I will be providing tips on how you can get scratches off your Corian countertops.
You can either clean the affected spot with any soapy water or ammonia cleaner as instructed in the earlier section of this article or you can make use of the Corian care kit.
Check below for information on how the Corian care kit can be safely applied.
- Use the abrasive pad in the Corian care kit to scrub the scratched surface starting in the back-and-forth motion before changing to a perpendicular motion in the direction of the scratches.
- You can extend your scrubbing a few inches away from the scratches so that the treated spot will blend well with other parts of the surface.
- Wash the pad thoroughly under running water to get rid of all grits.
- Wipe and dry the treated spot. You can make use of the aqua green-colored and the finest pads to scrub the scratch lengthwise, then sideways.
- Rinse the pad afterward and wipe the surface you feel it is smooth enough.
- Rinse the treated spot afterward with water and dry.
Corian countertops stains FAQs
Here are a few more things to know about Corian stains:
Will vinegar damage Corian?
No, vinegar will not damage Corian. Vinegar is an inexpensive item you can use to safely deodorize and disinfect Corian.
You can mix one cup of white vinegar and two cups of water. Spray this combination on the counters then wipe this off with a damp sponge or cloth.
Will acetone damage Corian?
Yes, acetone can cause damage to the Corian surface that you might not be able to undo. If you spill some nail polish on your Corian counter, you can use a nail polish remover to remove it. However, make sure you choose and use one that doesn’t contain acetone.
Will rubbing alcohol damage Corian?
No, rubbing alcohol will not damage Corian. However, the recommended solvent you can use for cleaning Corian is denatured alcohol.
Will bleach damage Corian?
No, bleach will not cause damage to Corian surfaces. DuPont recommends the use of half water and half bleach solution to disinfect the counter or remove stains on it. You can also use products that contain bleach.
Will mineral spirits damage Corian?
No, mineral spirits will not damage Corian surfaces.
How to polish Corian countertops
Corian is a special type of countertop usually used for bathroom or kitchen counters. As mentioned earlier, Corian is a kind of manmade surface that looks like granite or marble.
To keep your Corian counter looking pristine and new, you can clean and polish it to make it shiny all over again.
You must use the correct cleaning solutions to prevent damaging your counters. You should also avoid using harsh abrasives or steel wool on the meter since these could cause damages. You will also need to resurface polishing using a powerful and large tool.
Here are the steps for polishing Corian countertops:
- Start by sanding the scratched surface using 400 grit sandpaper. Make sure to work until you get rid of all scratches.
- Use 600 grit sandpaper to sand the scratched area. Work until the Corian counter is smooth.
- Fit the polishing wheel for drill. You can light the wick then hold this on the Corian counter until the meter appears shiny and bright. Use most of the compound as required to help shine the meter.
- Use clear water to rinse the meter with then buff this dry using a clean piece of cloth.
Take note that you should only polish Corian surfaces with a brilliant sheen.
Curious to learn does red wine stain quartz countertops, what removes super glue from countertops or how to remove hair dye from quartz countertops too?