Drinking beer on the weekend with your best friends is a great experience. But what will happen if beer spills on your clothes?
Does beer stain clothes? The bad news is beer will stain your clothes. But don’t worry!
The good news is we will show you why beer stains clothes, what can remove beer stains from clothes, and how do you remove beer stains from clothes with 5 simple steps.
We will also show you our secret cleaning recipe to remove dried beer stains from mattresses and jeans.
What is the active ingredient in beer
There are four main active ingredients in beer, such as:
- Water : Water makes up 90 to 95% of beer. The manufacturers often manipulate and adjust the mineral content present in water according to the style of beer they are brewing.
- Grain : Grains provide flavor, color, proteins, maltose, and dextrins to the beer. The foam and viscosity of beer are also due to the grains.
- Yeast : The manufacturers mostly use 2 types of yeast depending on the type of beer being brewed. Lager yeast is used for bottom-fermenting. Ale yeast is used for top-fermenting.
- Hops : Hops are used for adding flavor, aroma, stability, and bitterness to the beer.
Will beer stain clothes
Yes, beer will stain clothes.
If you spill beer on your clothes, it will leave a light-colored stain behind.
Beer stains are oxidizable so that’s why you should clean them as soon as possible.
When the beer stains dry out, they become a bit difficult to remove.
Does beer stain white clothes
Yes, beer stains white clothes.
Although beer stains are light-colored, they will look quite noticeable on white clothes.
But the good news is that you can easily remove beer stains from white clothes if you will follow our cleaning instructions.
Does beer stain black clothes
Yes, beer will stain black clothes.
Beer stains are light so they may not be much noticeable on black clothes.
Does beer stain grey clothes
Yes, beer stains grey clothes.
Beer will leave light-colored stains on grey clothes.
Does root beer stain clothes
Yes, if you will spill root beer on your clothes, it will leave stains behind.
Follow our cleaning instructions to remove root beer stains easily.
Why does beer stain clothes
Beer is thick because its viscosity is high. It contains different ingredients like grains, yeasts, water, sugars, and hops.
When you spill beer on the clothes, it gets stuck in the fabric of your clothes and leaves stains. When it dries, it also starts giving a very bad smell.
Do beer stains smell
Yes, beer stains smell.
When the beer stains dry out, they start giving a strong smell. It is due to the ingredients in beer such as grains, hops, yeasts, sugars, and water.
What removes beer stains from clothes
Liquid laundry detergent, dish soap, baking soda, and white vinegar can remove beer stains from clothes.
We will show you how to use these ingredients to remove beer stains from the clothes.
How to get beer stains out of clothes
Here are the instructions you need to follow for removing fresh beer stains from clothes:
1. Rinse the beer stain with cold water
Place the backside of the beer stain under a high-pressure stream of cold water. It will help rinse out most of the beer.
2. Use a liquid laundry detergent
Mix liquid laundry detergent with cold water and apply it to the beer stain on the clothes.
Let the detergent sit on the beer stain for 5 minutes.
If you don’t have any liquid laundry detergent available, you can use dish soap instead.
3. Blot the beer stain if necessary
If the beer stain has set in, you will have to blot the stain.
So, create a solution by mixing 2 parts of water and 1 part of white vinegar. Test it on an invisible part of the cloth to ensure it does not cause damage.
Do not use it if you see any signs of damage. Continue if everything goes well.
Now pour this solution on the beer stain and gently blot it with a toothbrush.
Rinse the spot with warm water and wash out all the vinegar.
4. Wash the clothes as per the washing instructions
Now you need to wash your clothes as per the instructions given on the garment care label.
You can use a good laundry detergent.
5. Inspect the stain before drying the clothes
After washing the clothes, inspect the stain to check if it’s gone.
We recommend you air-dry the clothes to see if the beer stain has completely gone.
If you will put a beer stain in a heat dryer, then it will become permanent.
Repeat the process if the stain is still present on the clothes.
How to remove dried beer stains from clothes
When the beer stains dry out, they become more difficult to remove.
Here’s our secret recipe to remove dried beer stains from clothing:
1. Dampen the beer stain
Use cold water to dampen the dried beer stain on your clothes.
2. Apply dish soap or laundry detergent
Apply a few drops of dish soap or laundry detergent to the dried beer stain and rub it into the stain with your fingers.
Now, wait for 5 minutes.
3. Rinse the spot
Thoroughly rinse the dried beer stain with cold water.
4. Apply baking soda
Add a thick layer of baking soda on the dried beer stain and allow it to sit there for 15 minutes.
Baking soda is a deodorizer and it will remove the smell of beer as well.
5. Wash it now
Wash your clothes with clean water and remove all the baking soda.
This will remove the beer stain and its bad smell.
You can repeat the cleaning process if there are still some signs of stain left.
Let the clothes naturally dry in the air outdoors.
How to clean beer stain from a mattress
We have 3 different cleaning recipes to clean beer stains from a mattress. Let’s check them out:
1. Use salt
- Take a paper towel or clean cloth and absorb the maximum amount of beer from the mattress. Never rub the beer or it will be more difficult to remove.
- Now dab the beer stain with cold water and sprinkle a lot of salt on the beer stain. Let the salt sit for 3 minutes.
- Again, dab the spot with cold water and use your fingers to work the salt into the beer stain.
- Use a paper towel to blot-dry the beer stain spot. You can repeat this process until the beer stain and smell are completely gone.
- In the end, let the mattress dry out naturally.
2. Use white vinegar and baking soda
- Use a paper towel or cloth and absorb the maximum amount of beer from the mattress.
- Pour a thick layer of baking soda on the beer stain. Now dip a clean cloth in white vinegar and wring it out.
- Use the cloth to remove all the baking soda. Repeat if the beer stain remains. Let the mattress dry with the help of natural air.
- You can also vacuum the mattress to ensure there’s no baking soda left.
3. Use liquid dish soap and hydrogen peroxide
- Damp the beer stain with cold water.
- Create a cleaning solution by mixing equal parts of hydrogen peroxide & liquid dish soap.
- Test this solution on an invisible part of the mattress to ensure there is no damage.
- If you see any damage, do not use this method. If everything is okay, then you can continue and follow it.
- Apply the cleaning solution to the beer stain and gently blot it. Wait for 5 minutes.
- Now take a clean cloth dipped in cold water and blot the beer stain on the mattress. Repeat this process till the beer stain is completely gone.
- In the end, leave the mattress to air dry naturally.
How to get a beer stain out of jeans
If there’s a beer stain on your jeans, follow this cleaning recipe to get rid of it:
1. Flush the beer stain with cold water
Open a cold water tap and flush the beer stain on your jeans. This will help remove excess beer from the stain,
2. Apply laundry detergent on the beer stain
Mix liquid laundry detergent and cold water. Now apply it to the beer stain on your jeans.
3. Blot with a toothbrush
Use a toothbrush to blot the beer stain so it leaves the fabric of your jeans and comes out more easily.
4. Rinse the spot
Now rinse the beer stain spot with cold water completely.
5. Wash the jeans
Read the washing instructions given on the care label of your jeans.
Wash the jeans with a good detergent.
6. Inspect the jeans & dry
After washing the jeans, check if the beer stains are completely gone.
If the stains have been removed, you can air-dry the clothes naturally.
If they are still here, you should repeat this process.
Never put the beer stains in a heat dryer because heat makes the beer stains permanent.
Other beer stains removal guides
How to clean beer stains off the couch
Fresh Beer stain
- Soak up as much of the Beer stains as possible using a paper towel.
- Mix a tbs. of dishwashing detergent and 2 cups of cold water.
- Soak a clean sponge into the solution and blot directly on the stained spot until the liquid is absorbed. However, do not get the treated spot oversaturated.
- Rinse the cleaning solution by blotting away with a damp paper towel.
- Suck up all liquid remnants on the treated spot with a dry paper towel.
- Dry treated spot with a fan or hairdryer.
- Get the stained spot moisturized with cold water.
- Mix two-thirds cups of rubbing and a tbs. spoon of distilled white vinegar to form a solution.
- Dip a clean cloth or towel in this solution, and squeeze to get rid of excess liquids, then press on the stained spot. Do this until the whole stain is gone and make sure to change or switch to another side of the towel once a side of the towel is soaked up with the cleaning solution.
- Rinse the treated spot with a damp towel.
How to remove beer stains from car seats
- In a bucket or bowl, mix a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap, a cup of vinegar, and a gallon of warm water to form a cleaning solution.
- Dip a soft-bristled brush into the solution and use it to scrub the surface of the car seat as gently as you can until the stain is completely gone.
- Rinse the treated spot with cold clean water.
How to remove beer stains from wool carpet
- Mix inside a bowl, distilled white vinegar, liquid dishwashing detergent in equal parts, and 2 cups of warm water.
- Sponge the solution on the stained spot with a paper towel or a sponge, making sure to apply the solution bit by bit and using a dry cloth to blot the spot until there’s no more stain on the wool carpet.
- Rinse the treated spot afterward with a damp towel.
How to remove beer stains from the wall
- Mix baking soda and water in equal parts to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to the stained spot and rub it in with a towel or rag.
- Leave it to sit for about 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly afterward with water.
For dried or stubborn beer stains, use liquid dishwashing soap in place of water.
How to remove beer stain from wood
- Dab the stain with an absorbent cloth to soak up the excess stain from the surface.
- Power a steam iron and set it to a low temperature without steam.
- Cover the stained spot with a towel
- Place the iron on the towel.
- Do not leave the iron on the towel for more than a minute
- Once the stain is completely lifted, rub the treated spot with cooking oil or beeswax oil to rejuvenate the shine of the wood.
How to get a beer stain out of polyester
- Mix a few drops of liquid dish soap or laundry detergent and lukewarm water to form a solution.
- Soak a sponge or light-colored rag in this solution and dab directly at the stain
- Repeat this process as required until the whole stain is completely gone.
- Rinse the treated spot afterward with cold water.
If treating a polyester cloth, launder the normal way and dry after the stain is completely gone.
How to get beer stains out of the leather shoe
- Soak up excess beer stains with a paper towel.
- Squeeze some toothpaste on a damp brush and rub the paste into the stain.
- Wipe the paste off the treated spot with a damp cloth
- Soak a clean cloth in a bowl of undiluted vinegar and wipe it on the shoe surface.
- Leave it to dry.
- Apply leather cream and leave it to sit on the treated surface for about 20 minutes.
Beer stain FAQs
You are probably looking for answers to these frequently asked questions:
Does beer stain teeth?
Yes, dark beer can stain the teeth.
If you are a frequent dark beer drinker, there’s a high chance that dark beer will stain the enamel of your teeth and cause discoloration. Your teeth may develop a brownish or yellowish tint. It will become more noticeable over time if you keep drinking dark beer.
Experts recommend you should drink light beer as it has fewer chances of staining your teeth. You can also drink water while having a beer as it will wash the beer from your teeth and prevent staining.
Does beer stain carpet?
Yes, beer will stain your carpet.
Beer will leave a urine-like and dark stain on the carpet. It will also make the carpet fibers crunchy and sticky.
This happens because of the ingredients in beer such as sugars, grains, yeasts, hops, and water.
Does ginger beer stain?
Yes, ginger beer will leave a stain.
If you ever spill ginger beer on your clothes, clean them immediately. Because once it dries out, it will leave stains behind.
Can beer stain the rug?
Yes, beer can stain the rug.
When beer spills on a rug, it turns its fabric crunchy and sticky. It will leave a dark, urine-like stain on the rug and also give out a smell.
Can beer stain concrete?
Yes, beer may stain concrete.
If you want to remove beer stains from concrete, create a solution of detergent and water. Now dip a clean cloth in that solution and rub the beer stain on the concrete to remove it.
Another method is to apply denatured alcohol to a clean cloth and rub the beer stain on concrete to remove it.
Does beer stain leather?
Yes, beer will stain the leather.
If you ever spill beer on leather, make sure to clean it immediately.
The reason is that leather starts absorbing wet stains like beer.
When you delay cleaning the beer stain, it permanently damages the surface of the leather and creates a strong unpleasant smell.
Curious to learn how to get wine stains out of quartz too?
“Your home is a representation of yourself, and it should only be filled with clean items that you enjoy and use”
Professional cleaning expert