Oil pastel is a tool used in drawing and painting, that is converted into sticks containing several colors blended with a binder mixture consisting of wax and non-drying oil. Unlike other pastel sticks that are manufactured using methyl cellulose binder or the ones made from wax crayons that are made with zero oil content, the surfaces of paintings made with oil pastels are usually less powdery which has contributed to its popularity in the artistic world.
Although I am no Edgar Degas and neither does my profession has anything to do with drawings, but many times I have wondered, Do oil pastel stain? Are oil pastels permanent on fabrics? To satisfy my curiosity, I did some digging and found answers to these questions. I will be sharing my discoveries in this guide, as well as 4 steps on how to get oil pastels out of clothes. Each step is important but step no.2 holds the secret ingredient. Keep reading for details.
What are oil pastels made of
Oil pastels consist of 3 major ingredients: white beeswax, oil, and pigments. The active ingredient is the pigment and must be of high quality if the pastel is to be effective.
Do oil pastel dry
No, oil pastels don’t dry. Unlike oil paints that easily dry out, oil pastel will never completely dry out. It will always remain smudge-able and can entrap dust to the surface. Although over the years, you may start to notice some protective layer on them, even at that, you can still scratch off oil pastels from your paintings with your fingernails after many years of completing your piece.
Do oil pastels stain clothes
Yes, oil pastels stain clothes. If you allow oil pastel, especially in liquid form spill on your cloth, it will stain it. When this happens see to it that urgent attention is given before it dries up because when it does, the stain may become permanent.
Are oil pastels washable
Yes, oil pastels are washable. Oil pastels hardly cause permanent stains on surfaces and will come out as long as credible effort is made towards getting them out. However, before you can get oil pastels out of cloth, you must make sure you have the right cleaner and know the proper technique to utilize. Failure to have these requirements in place will lead to little or no result at all.
Are oil pastels waterproof
Yes, oil pastels are waterproof. Oil pastels are made from the mixtures of pigments, wax binder, and oil and that is why whenever you paint on the top of the oil pastels, they will repel the paint and always remain slightly wet.
Can you use oil pastels on fabrics
Yes, you can use oil pastels on fabrics, however, the result may not be as great as when you use oil stick. Also, it is recommended not to use oil pastels directly on fabrics because it can cause your fabric to deteriorate faster than it should. Furthermore, just as I said earlier, oil pastel doesn’t completely dry out, which means it can trap dust and grimes easily. And as a result, it would be in your interest to look for a perfect alternative.
Are oil pastels permanent on fabrics
No, oil pastels are not permanent on fabrics. Oil pastels do not dry out, and therefore, it will be difficult to set and get them to stay on fabrics for a long time. Over time, the color will start to smudge.
What can remove oil pastel from clothes
Yes, you can remove oil pastel from clothes, but the truth is, your choice of cleaner matters a lot in getting rid of the stain. If you make the wrong choice, you might end up walking in a circle.
You can choose to make use of homemade or over-the-counter cleaners depending on your pocket. You can choose from any of the following cleaners depending on your budget and the type of clothing fabric. These cleaners include WD-40, liquid dishwashing soap, rubbing alcohol, greased lightning, vinegar, bleach-based cleaners, baking soda, and toothpaste.
How to get oil pastels out of clothes
Got your cloth stained with oil pastels, well, you do not have to worry, spring to action immediately by following the few simple steps below.
- Scrape off as much of the oil pastels as possible using a blunt knife or spoon. You can place ice cubes on the stained spot to chill the oil pastels so that they can be easy to scrape.
- Dip a cotton ball in a bottle or cup of rubbing alcohol and blot on the stained spot.
- If after prolonged blotting the stain persists, rub liquid dishwashing soap on the treated spot and wash the normal way.
- Rinse with cold water once the drain is completely gone and dry.
How to get oil pastel out of jeans
If you find out that you have oil pastels stain on your jeans, you don’t have to start running to a dry cleaner for help. With the tips below, you can easily remove the stain from your jeans.
- Suck up excess oil pastel stain using a paper towel. If it is dry, scrape off excess oil pastels.
- Pour baking soda on the affected spot and leave it there for about an hour.
- Brush off the powder using a makeup brush.
- Spray treated spot with WD-40 and leave it to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Wash the normal way and rinse afterward.
Other oil pastel stain removal tips
How to remove oil pastels from wall
If you’ve got oil pastel stain on your wall, it might interest you to know that all you need is just toothpaste. Check below for details on how it can be effectively applied.
- Squeeze toothpaste on a clean towel and rub it on the stained wall.
- Saturate a clean cloth with water and wipe on the treated spot to erase the toothpaste remnant.
How to remove oil pastels from sofa
If you’ve got kids, they may turn the surface of your cherished sofa into their drawing sheet and make their paintings on it. Seeing such a painting on your soda will sure look like a great deal. However, with the tips below, you can get rid of those stains from your sofa with little or no stress whatsoever.
- Make a paste from the mixture of 1 tbs. of baking soda and water.
- Apply the paste using a microfiber cloth and rub it on the stained spot in a circular motion until the stain is completely lifted.
- Wipe the treated spot with a clean cloth and leave it to air dry.
How to remove oil pastels from paper
To remove oil pastels from paper, all you have to do is to dip a clean cloth in a bottle of white spirit and rub it as gently as you can on the specific spot you want to clean.
How to remove oil pastels from hands
It is very easy to remove oil pastel stains from hands. If you stained your hands with oil pastels while painting, you can easily the pastels from your hands by washing them with soap and water.
How to remove oil pastels from carpet
Oil pastels on the carpet may be a result of spill, or you have amazing kids who feel your carpet needs a new design. If you are not ok with their designs, you can follow the tips below to help you get rid of them.
- Spray WD-40 on the affected spot.
- Leave it to sit on the carpet for about 10 minutes.
- Dip a clean cloth in liquid dishwashing soap
- Blot on the stained spot until the stain is completely gone.
- Dip a clean cloth in cold water and wipe it on the treated spot to get rid of the stain/soap remnants.
- Leave to air dry.
How to remove oil pastels from canvas
- Cool the oil pastels by placing ice cubes on the stained spot.
- Soak rubbing alcohol on the stained spot and blot on the stain.
Rub liquid dishwashing soap into the stain if the stain persists after step 2 and wash.
“Your home is a representation of yourself, and it should only be filled with clean items that you enjoy and use”
Professional cleaning expert