Cowhide rugs are becoming a household name when it comes to interior decor. Cowhide rug’s popularity among homeowners and interior designers is born out of its durability, hypoallergenic quality, plus they are easy to clean.
Since cowhide rugs are stain-resistant, making them super easy to clean, and also, because they have a low water tolerance level, you may be wondering whether you can vacuum a cowhide rug?
The purpose of this article is to check how practicable vacuuming a cowhide rug is and to determine if there are any likely consequences associated with doing it. So read on!
What is a cowhide rug made out of
A cowhide rug is essentially made from the skin and hair of cows, then cured through an environmentally friendly chromium process or a vegetable tanning process adopted by MAHI. Although, some people argued that cowhides are not dyed to preserve the natural beauty of the cow’s skin, but they are re-dyed sometimes to create a more artistic imprint.
Is it safe to vacuum cowhide rugs
Yes, vacuuming a cowhide rug is completely safe. The cowhide has a rugged surface that can withstand the brush attachment on your vacuum, so turn it on and vacuum the rug towards the rug’s hair direction to prevent unnecessary loss of hair.
Can I use a robot vacuum on a cowhide rug
Yes, you can use a robot vacuum on your cowhide rug. In this era, where most homeowners are abandoning the old stick vacuum for a more super-efficient robotic vacuum, it would be ideal to check the efficacy of a robot vacuum on your home decor or fixtures and fittings in general before buying one.
It is more difficult to vacuum a carpet than vacuuming a hard floor, therefore you are going to need to increase the suction power and the speed of the fan which most carpets like ruggable rugs cannot handle because of their delicate surface.
On the other hand, cowhide has a more rugged surface, which makes it possible for it to be able to withstand the pressure of a robotic vacuum.
Is Roomba safe for cowhide rug
Yes, you can use Roomba vacuum safely on cowhide rugs. Roomba works perfectly well on all carpets and can effortlessly transition between carpets and floors and can easily alter between low and high sections depending on the intensity of the stain.
Although not all Roomba models can be used for cleaning carpets in general, the Roomba i7 and i7+ models are capable of efficiently cleaning carpets. These models use high suctions and that is why the experts advise against using them on some carpets. But in the case of a cowhide rug, it’s a different story.
How to vacuum cowhide rug
It is very easy to vacuum a cowhide rug and can be simply done in just 3 steps. These steps will be highlighted below.
- Cowhides are usually stain-resistant and they wouldn’t keep stains on them. As a result, you should reduce the suction power a bit to let’s say the suction power level recommended for upholsteries or curtains (if your vacuum had that option). But if it doesn’t, you can proceed without reducing it regardless.
- Put the vacuum cleaner’s head to a setting similar to that is required for a hard floor and ensure the brush is kept in the down position so that it can brush the rug while sucking up the and simultaneously as well.
- You should start vacuuming from the center point of the cowhide rug and vacuum all through to the very end of the rug, and run off the end of the rug. This should be repeated as many times as possible until you’ve successfully run the vacuum over the rug in a complete 360 degree to ensure that no part of the cowhide rug is left out.
- If you still have some stain leftovers in the hair of the rug after a thorough vacuuming, you can follow up by scrubbing the remnant with a brush. This should help break down the stain so that you can easily vacuum the remnant off.
Can you steam clean a cowhide rug too
Yes, cowhide can be cleaned by steam cleaning it. Steam clean is completely safe for your cowhide rug and is one of the most common care practices homeowners endorse.
However, before you start to steam clean your cowhide rug, make sure you vacuum the rug first to help get rid of excess stains. Once you are through with that, you can then turn on the steam cleaner and start to steam clean. That being said, it is important to pre-warm your steam cleaner to keep it at the highest temperature before using it.
Cowhide rug cleaning FAQs
Can you wash a cowhide rug?
Yes, you can wash your cowhide rug. However, you need to know that cowhide is 100% leather and can’t tolerate water in any way, hence, you should make sure that your cowhide is not all soaked up while you wash it.
Can you wash a cowhide rug in the machine?
Yes, you can wash cowhide rug in a washing machine, but you must make sure you don’t wash it hose down to prevent it from getting soaked. If your cowhide is exposed to excess water, it will shorten its lifespan.
Note: Only use a washing machine as a last resort. It is not advisable to wash a cowhide rug in the washing machine.
Can you use a carpet cleaner on a cowhide rug?
Yes, you can use a carpet cleaner on a cowhide rug.
How to clean commit out of cowhide rug
To make your cleaning job easier, see to it that you treat the vomit stain almost immediately it happened. You can clean vomit stain on your cowhide rug by following these steps.
- Make a solution from the mixtures of water and mild soap.
- Apply the solution on the affected spot using a sponge or a wet towel.
- Srub the affected spot until the stain is completely gone and leave to dry.
How to clean urine from stain from cowhide rug
You can remove urine stains from cowhide rugs by following these steps.
- Suck up as much urine as possible using a paper towel or rag or a shop vac.
- Make a solution from the mixture of mild dishwashing soap and water.
- Dip a sponge or towel into the solution and scrub on the cowhide with it.
- This will leave your rug wet, therefore, you have to vacuum off excess water with the shop vac.
- Cowhide is a protein fiber, the urine stain might not come out in one trial, so you may have to repeat the process a couple of times before the stain completely comes out.
- After the urine stain is completely gone, then you can either sundry or air dry it.
How to clean dog poo stain from a cowhide rug
- Make a solution from the mixture of 1 tablespoon of dishwashing soap and 2 cups of lukewarm water.
- Dampen a clean cloth in the solution and scrub gently into the rug.
- Rinse after the stain is completely gone and air dry.