Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate and bleach are two of the most popular products used for cleaning. But, can you mix bleach and baking soda to get more excellent results, then?
What will happen if you mix sodium bicarbonate and bleach?
Sodium bicarbonate and bleach are two cleaning heroes that can work well on their own. Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite that can kill bacteria and germs that are not visible to the naked eye. It technically performs well as a disinfectant for sterilization and not necessarily a liquid to wipe off stains and dirt.
On the other hand, baking soda is perfect for scrubbing off greases, yellowish whitening surfaces, and deodorizing smells. It means that it doesn’t work on killing off germs.
Thus, the mixture of sodium bicarbonate and bleach will make you enjoy the benefits of these two exceptional products. You can then use this combination for sterility and extreme cleaning purposes.
If you are a big fan of homemade cleaning liquids and a certified lover of science, there is a big chance that you already tried to mix these two before. You might have been using it around your home for some time now. But, if you haven’t tried it yet, you can always prepare this mixture, and you will surely be amazed at how powerful and versatile it is when cleaning stuff around the house.
This combination can even speed up your cleaning process compared to other types of cleaning agents and detergents.
Is the mixture of baking soda and bleach safe to use?
Don’t worry because the answer is a big yes, it is safe to mix sodium bicarbonate and bleach. In fact, this is one of the most popular homemade cleaners so there is no need for you to worry about mixing these two.
Safety reminders when mixing baking soda and bleach
To ensure that you stay safe when using the mixture of sodium bicarbonate and bleach, there are a few important reminders you need to keep in mind:
- Try to mix first a small amount to see how it will turn out. The mixture may turn out too wishy-washy or too dense that may make it inefficient or worse, it may also cause damages on the surfaces you will be working on. Just like what you learned in your high school science class, it is always best to begin testing small amounts of chemicals first.
- Don’t forget to dilute bleach. Since the smells of bleach tend to be really strong, you should try watering it down, especially if you or a family member is sensitive to such smells.
- It is also extremely important to avoid letting the chemicals come into contact with your bare skin. This is where rubber gloves can come in handy. Also, make sure that you keep your kids and pets safely away from the container of the mixture and the areas that you cleaned with it before it dries out. Kids and pets have sensitivities to this kind of strong chemicals. In particular, cats tend to be triggered by bleach and chlorine’s odors. If you are planning to clean your whole house using this mixture, it is best to keep your cats temporarily away from home.
- Vinegar and bleach should never be mixed at all. While vinegar is a powerful detergent for cleaning, it is basically acidic. Once you mix this with bleach, its acidic content will release a dangerous gas that can cause chemical burns on the skin, eyes, and lungs. You should never mix vinegar and bleach at all cost in any way, form, or shape.
Where can you use baking soda and bleach mixture?
There are several applications where the sodium bicarbonate and bleach mixture can come in handy. These include the following:
1. Mold prevention and cleaning walls
If you have been dealing with mold issues on your walls, you should definitely try this mixture and let it work its magic. Mix sodium bicarbonate and bleach in a bowl and spread the formed paste on your walls. Use a hard brush for scrubbing off the mold.
Many people often forget the last step of fixing the damp wall. This is best done by brushing it with a layer of waterproof paint afterward. Even though using the chemicals for scrubbing the mold off can already work effectively, the last thing you want is to move out your furniture every weekend just so you can scrub the walls.
When doing this process, make sure you ventilate your home as much as possible. It will create an environment that is more pleasant to work with while helping reduce your cleaning time.
2. Doing the laundry
Now, this one is probably the most common purpose of sodium bicarbonate and bleach mixture. It is not a secret that it is not easy to make white items of clothing stay as white as you want for a long time. In most cases, they are also rendered useless once they incur some stains. This is why it is important to clean your favorite white shirts right away once they are spilled with something.
The good news is that there is something you can do to ensure that your white garments remain spotless and nice for as long as possible. All you need to do is pour the mixture of sodium bicarbonate and bleach directly on the white garments, scrub them thoroughly and let them sit for 15 minutes. Use cold water to wash the clothes afterward before putting them in the washing machine.
You can also do the same with your dirty laundry so that it will come out cleaner and fresher than ever before.
Yes, you can mix sodium bicarbonate and bleach and you can also use it for various purposes including cleaning, washing your laundry, and others. Just see to it that you take all the necessary precautions and follow the tips mentioned above so you can safely use this mixture to help you enjoy an easier and more relaxing cleaning experience.
You may also want to learn: