Many people don’t realize it but cleaning curtains isn’t as easy as it seems. Aside from being bulky, things become even more difficult if your curtains have metal rings.
Curtains with metal grommets not only look beautiful because installing them is also relatively easier. But, cleaning and maintaining them is a completely different story.
If you want to know how to wash curtains with rings, there are several quick and simple cleaning solutions that you can try. Here are a few tips to help you wash your metal ring curtains and enjoy their beauty for a long time.
Can you wash curtains with grommets
Yes, you can wash curtains with grommets. Grommets are the metal rings that hold the curtain firmly to the curtain rod: therefore, you will see grommets on almost every curtain. You can either hand wash a curtain with grommets or wash them in the washing machine.
Although, before putting them in the washing machine, you have to consider a couple of things: first, you have to put your washing machine in a delicate wash cycle setting. Secondly, you will have to remove the grommets. Check below for details on how to remove your curtain grommets.
Can I wash curtains with rings in the washing machine
Yes, you can wash curtains with rings in the washing machine, however, there’s a small trick to it. Before putting your curtain inside the washing machine, make sure you have your curtain pleated using a small pajama for kids or you can make use of cloth-like socks.
Thrust into the eyelet of the ring. This technique should be repeated for each curtain and make sure to tie a knot.
Can eyelet curtains be machine washed
Yes, you can wash eyelet curtains in the washing machine, just make sure that it is washed at a low speed.
How to wash eyelet curtains
You can either wash your eyelet curtains in a washing machine or hand wash them. Check below for details on how they can be effectively washed in both ways.
Washing in the washing machine
- Open up the machine compartment and fill it with liquid powder. Make sure the shampoo is applied at the ratio of 3 tablespoons per 4kg.
- Put the machine in a setting that is appropriate for both the curtain fabric and the eyelet type. To be on the safer side, wash under 30° temperature without spinning.
- Select extra rinse and make sure you do not leave the curtains in the machine to prevent the curtain from oxidizing.
Hand washing the eyelet curtain
- Dissolve washing gel in the warm water of about 5 to 10 liters.
- You can add shampoo in the proportion of one tablespoon to 2-3 liters of water.
- Soak the curtains in the water and leave them there for about 5 to 15 minutes.
- Stroke the surface repeatedly with your hands and avoid twisting or wrinkling the fabric.
- Thoroughly rinse the curtain in warm water.
Hand-wash Your Curtains with Metal Rings
Now, you might think that manually washing your curtains with metal rings can be too time-consuming and tiring. However, as far as these delicate and special curtains are concerned, hand-washing is and will always be the best thing you can do. You just need to use a detergent to remove those stubborn stains, dust, and other dirt particles that have accumulated on your curtains.
Clean Your Metal Ring Curtains in the Washing Machine
It is more ideal to clean lightweight curtains with the help of your washing machine because they won’t retain much water, not to mention that they are also easier to rinse. But, you must be very careful and consider the specific material of your curtain before you put it in the washing machine. There is a big possibility that the soft cotton material will shrink if you wash it using hot water. In case there is a risk of shrinking, it will probably be better if you just hand-wash your curtains.
How to Wash and Clean Heavy Curtains
Heavier curtains should only be hand-washed and never machine-washed. This kind of curtains tend to retain most of the water that can end up damaging your washing machine and this is the last thing you want to happen. When cleaning your heavier curtains, hand-wash these in the bathtub then add a quality fabric softener so that the job will be easier for you.
Steam Clean Your Curtains with Rings
Steam cleaning is one of the best options for a more thorough cleaning of curtains, specifically the heavier ones. But, this is something that you can only entrust to the hands of professionals so you should expect to spend some cash to get this service. There are already several providers of steam cleaning service so there is a chance that you can easily find in your area. Just make sure that you choose the best provider to make the most out of your money and ensure the highest quality results.
How to Clean Curtain Rings and Rods
Aside from the curtains themselves, you also need to clean their metal rings and rods. These metals might accumulate rust over time that can make your curtains look a bit shabby. For this task, you can use mild vinegar cleaners to remove the rust on the metal rod and rings.
Now that you know how to wash curtains with rings, make sure you follow these tips to enjoy your beautiful curtains for a long time.
How to uninstall grommets from a curtain
Apart from holding the curtain to the curtain rods, grommets also help protect curtains holes from tears and frays. Removing curtain grommets is a bit difficult because you are at risk of either tearing your curtain or damaging the grommets.
To remove the curtain grommet without a hitch, you will need to use the appropriate tool and patience: check details on how you can successfully remove the grommet from your curtain.
- Push the flat head of your screwdriver under the grommet and pry the metal edging with it. You can also make use of a craft knife. As you slide the edge of the screwdriver under the grommet, slightly push it up to detach it from the curtain. This should be done around the entire circumference of the grommet.
- Gently pull on the grommet once the entire edge of its perimeter has been opened up. If you notice any two stubborn halves, have them separated using a plier and a screwdriver. This should be done as slowly as possible to avoid entangling the curtain fabric.
- If it is becoming hard to slip out, snip it into the half with a moderate-sized wire cutter or tin snip. All pieces should be removed and replace the remaining areas with a new grommet or better still, you can have it bound to prevent frays and tears.