How do you remove gentian violet from skin?
Gentian violet is a type of dye of bluish-violet color extracted from coal tar. Just so you know, during the early part of 20th century, coal tar was used as one common form of treatment for thrush as well as other kinds of mouth, vaginal, and skin infections.
The first ever production of gentian violet can be traced back to 19th century and for some time, this was used as an antifungal and antibiotic. The treatment fell out of favor among doctors for some time with the development of new antibiotics. But, it seems that it is starting to reemerge today.
Gentian violet is mainly used to fight off Candida, a type of fungus that can cause thrush. This also has an antiviral and antibacterial activity.
This is used in Latin America for sterilizing blood transfusions and preventing the transmission of the parasite that can cause Chaga’s disease.
There are two dyes found in gentian violet and these are 4% methyl brilliant green and violet and 96% crystal violet.
During the early part of 20th century, this topical treatment was primarily used for the following conditions:
- Fungal infections
- Gum infections
- Parasitic worms like pinworm
- Skin infections like impetigo
While you can now find better alternatives Gentian violet is still used in instances when traditional measures are inappropriate or unavailable. The best example of this is when trying to get rid of bacteria that have already become resistant to antibiotics.
The primary uses of gentian violet have something to do with its antimicrobial activity. This can kill off viruses, bacteria, fungi, and even some parasitic worms upon contact.
The only downside here is that gentian violet causes swelling, irritation, and staining, particularly when used continuously. This is why it is important to know how to get rid of gentian violet stains.
What is Gentian violet made of
Gentian is gotten from coal tar.
Why is Gentian violet purple
Gentian violet is an antiseptic widely used for the prevention of infections caused by bacteria and fungi.
This super effective antibacterial agent contains ingredients like violet rosalinilis, as well as antifungal, anthelmintic, and antibacterial properties.
However, these ingredients are not responsible for the purple color of the agent. This is a result of the antiseptic dying agent that is included in the product.
Does Gentian violet stain teeth
Yes, Gentian violet can stain teeth. If there’s any other thing Gentian violet is known for apart from its therapeutic and medicinal purposes, it would be the fact that it makes a mess of anything it comes in contact with, whether it be the mouth, tongue, teeth, skin, or cloth.
Is gentian violet harmful if swallowed
Gentian violet may be harmful if swallowed. Be sure to call a poison control center or doctor right away if someone swallows gentian violet.
Is gentian violet the same as iodine
No, gentian violet is not the same as iodine. Gentian violet or crystal violet is a type of antiseptic dye that was first used as far back as the year 1890. It color is the reason for its name. This is not in any way made from violet or gentian flowers.
Topical iodine, on the other hand, is used to treat and prevent infections that might occur in minor cuts and scrapes. This works through killing off the bacteria that could cause infections. Iodine is available in tincture form.
Gentian violet has some antimicrobial and antifungal activity and it has been traditionally used as topical treatment for various dermatological conditions. But, there is limited clinical trial evidence that backs up its long-term safety or effectiveness.
This is why for most diseases, the more modern treatments like antibiotics as well as other types of systemic medications are more favored. There are also countries where gentian violet is not available for medical purposes anymore.
Does gentian violet sting
No, gentian violet doesn’t sting. This dye is effective as topical treatment for different yeast infections. Most of the time, babies and breastfeeding mothers who suffer from common yeast infections can treat the condition with the application of gentian violet on the affected skin of the baby and mother alike.
In general, gentian violet works great in getting rid of yeast present on the skin. But, one downside of using this treatment is that deep purple stains that can appear on the parts of the skin where it is applied. The good news is that there are various methods that you can try to get rid of the stains of gentian violet on your skin.
Is Gentian Violet stain permanent
No, Gentian Violet stain is not permanent. Although at first, the mess may seem like a big deal, with the right cleaning approach the stain will be completely gone in no time. Even at times, when you leave the stain, it will start to lift by itself.
How long does it take for gentian violet stain to go away
As stated above, there are many methods that will help you remove the gentian violet stains. Just follow the process of removal carefully so you can be sure that no traces of stain will be left behind. The purple stain of gentian violet will just go away all by itself even if you don’t do anything. Most of the stains of gentian violet will fade away in a matter of two days or so.
How long does Gentian violet stain mouth
Gentian Violet stain can remain on the for up to 24 hours or more.
How do you remove gentian violet from skin
The following are the steps that you can follow to effectively remove the gentian violet from the skin:
- Dab lanolin cream or Vaseline around the baby’s mouth before you apply Gentian violet. It will help ensure that the skin doesn’t absorb gentian violet and stain the area.
- Wipe up any leftover gentian violet from the mother and baby’s skin using paper towels. Doing this will help prevent the treatment from getting soaked into the skin.
- Soak a piece of cotton swab completely with a tiny amount of isopropyl alcohol or even vodka. Dab at the stains of gentian violet on the skin with care to remove them. Just be careful to ensure that the vodka or isopropyl alcohol doesn’t touch the baby’s lips to prevent accidental ingestion of the liquid.
- You can saturate a piece of paper towel then use this to rinse off the vodka or isopropyl alcohol from the baby and mother’s skin. You can also remove most of the stain using moist paper towel.
- Rub some baby wipes over the stain’s site if any remains on the skin of the mother or baby. The alcohol present in the baby wipes is usually efficient in removing the stains of gentian violet. Rinse off the skin properly afterwards.
How to remove gentian violet from skin with vinegar
Vinegar is one of the best gentian violet stain removal. Please follow the below 4 easy steps to get rid of gentian violet stains from skin.
- To remove the gentian violet from the skin, soak it first in vinegar and detergent solution. Agitate it every now and then. Rinse it with water after 30 minutes.
- Let it dry first. Apply some alcohol on the stain then cover this with an absorbent material soaked with alcohol. Allow it to sit to remove the stain.
- Change the pad once it soaks up the stain and press the pad hard on the skin when checking it. Use alcohol to keep the pad and stain moist.
- Flush it with alcohol and allow it to dry. Soak it in ammonia and detergent solution and rinse off with water after 30 minutes.
How to remove gentian violet from skin with baking soda
Using baking soda on the skin is not really recommended as this can neutralize its normal acid levels. This means that the skin will dry out and start to crack. It is the reason why it would be better to use other products to remove the gentian violet from the skin.
How to remove gentian violet from skin with olive oil
The gentian violet stains will be minimal if you rub some olive oil on the skin, specifically on the areas around the baby’s mouth and cheeks. Olive oil is the best gentian violet removal to get gentian violet off baby lips.
That deep bluish purple stains that gentian violet leaves behind is never good to look at, particularly once this stains the skin. But, with the tips mentioned above, you will be able to get rid of these undesirable stains easily and effectively.
How to remove Gentian violet from teeth
If you use Gentian violet in the mouth, there’s a great possibility that you are going to stain your teeth and if you do not know how you can get rid of the stain, you might have to carry the discoloration for days. Here I will be sharing useful tips on how you can easily remove Gentian violet from your teeth.
Cleaning with baking soda
- Make a paste from the mixtures of a tablespoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide.
- Brush your teeth with this paste and rinse afterward with water.
How to get Gentian violet out of carpet
Gentian violet usually leaves colorful stains on whatever surface they come in contact with, and when you have a light-colored or a new carpet, a Gentian violet stain is the last thing you would want to have on your carpet because it will cause a great discoloration that can dent the aesthetic quality of your carpet.
Getting rid of Gentian violet stains from carpet is a bit tricky as a novice is at risk of spreading the stains even further causing more damage. In this section, I will be discussing the various ways you can use to remove Gentian violet stains from your carpet.
How to remove gentian violet from carpet with with Dry cleaning fluid
- Pour the sizeable amount of dry cleaning fluids in a bowl ( the amount of fluid to be used depending on how much of the stain you have on the carpet).
- Dip a clean towel or rag in the fluid and apply to the stained spot.
- Leave the fluid to sit for about 5 or 10 minutes so that it can lift the stain.
- Dampen a towel in cold water and suck up the lifted stains with it.
- You can leave to air dry or you can suck up liquid remnants with a clean dry towel.
How to remove gentian violet from carpet with Detergent
- Pour a moderate amount of liquid dishwashing detergent in a bowl containing water.
- Dip a brush into the water/detergent solution and scrub the stained spot with it.
- Dampen a towel in a bowl of water and use it to suck the lifted stains.
- Using a clean dry towel, suck up as much liquid as you can from the wet spot and leave it to air dry.
How to get Gentian violet off hand
It is easy to get your hands stained with Gentian violet, but removal cam is a bit challenging. Check below for tips on how you can easily remove Gentian stains from your hand.
- Make a solution from the mixtures of liquid dishwashing detergent and vinegar in equal parts.
- Soak your stained hand in the solution and agitate occasionally.
- After about 30 minutes, rinse your hand with water and allow it to dry.
How to remove Gentian violet stains from the floor
If you have little kids, likely, you occasionally see Gentian violet spill on your floor and this could be a pain in the ass for whoever is responsible to do the cleaning because it is an easy task to carry out.
Detailedly explained below is one of the most simplest and effective methods you can use to remove Gentian violet stains from your floor.
Cleaning with Hydrogen Peroxide
- Make a paste from the mixtures of 1 part of hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts of baking soda.
- Apply the paste on the stained surface using a scrubber or a brush and leave it to dit for about 30 minutes.
- Scrub and rinse afterward.
- If the stain persists, clean the stubborn stain directly with undiluted hydrogen peroxide
How to remove Gentian violet off the sink
Check below for details on how you can effectively remove Gentian stains from your sink.
Cleaning with Barkeepers friend cleanser
- Run the tap of your sink and allow water to soak the stained area.
- Sprinkle the Bar cleanser generously on the stained spot.
- Leave it to sit for about a minute or two so that it can lift the stain.
- Use a non-abrasive sponge to scrub the affected spot in a circular motion.
- Drain out both the dye and the now soapy water and rinse with water.
- Wipe down the treated spot with a paper towel or a soft dry cloth.
- If the stain persists, go through the process again until having the desired result.
How to remove Gentian violet from blonde hair
If you have Gentian violet on your hair it is most likely not a stain, you must have used it to dye your air, and all of a sudden you decided to try on a new look.
The good news is, Gentian violet is not a permanent dye and can be easily removed. Check below for information on how best you can remove Gentian violet from your hair.
Wash your hair regularly
Wash your hair constantly for a few days with a good-quality shampoo. Although at first, this might seem like a slow process, if you are consistent, the Gentian violet stain will eventually fade off.
This method remains one of the safest as it does not involve the use of chemicals that can negatively impact the health of your hair.
How to remove Gentian stains off baby lips
One of the greatest challenges of others is how to get rid of Gentian violet stains off their baby’s mouth after use. Many times, I have seen mothers complain about how their babies look like clowns because of the discoloration caused by Gentian violet stains.
If you are one of the worried mothers, worry no more as I will be sharing useful information on how you can effectively get rid of Gentian violet stains from your baby’s lips.
- Dampen a cotton swab in a bottle of vodka or isopropyl alcohol.
- Gently rub it on the stained lips of the baby.
- Continue the process until all the stains are lifted. Make sure you change the cotton swab once you notice it is saturated with the stain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Gentian violet heal the wound?
Yes, Gentian violet can heal wounds. If you can’t find Betadine or any other antiseptic specially made for the treatment of wounds, Gentian violet can be used as an alternative.
Gentian violet is efficient at treating superficial, small, wounds, and ineffective scabs, including both large and small pressure ulcer eschars found on the lower ambit of geriatric patients.
Can Gentian violet be used for Burns?
Yes, Gentian violet can be used for the burn. Gentian violet is seen as a workable and cost-effective treatment that can be used to manage burns, insect bites, scrapes, and minor cuts.
Can you use Gentian violet on a cat?
Yes, Gentian violet is safe for cats. According to the American Society for the prevention of Animal cruelty, Gentian violet is not poisonous to pets whether it be cats or dogs. However, this is not so true of a chemical substance with a similar name. This chemical can harm your pet.
Can you use Gentian violet on dogs?
Yes, you can use Gentian violet on dogs. Just as I said earlier, it doesn’t matter what you keep a pet, it could be a dog or a cat.
This antiseptic is safe for them and will not cause any physical or internal damage to them. In fact, Gentian violet is one of the most common treatments for moist eczema which affects dogs.
However, when using Gentian violet on dogs, be careful not to get your cloth stained with it because this antiseptic can make a mess of your clothing fabric.
How long for Gentian violet to fade?
Gentian violet should fade within 2 days or more or at times, it can take from between 4 to 9 washes before it finally faded out.
Can Gentian violet be used for toenail fungus?
Yes, Gentian violet can be used to treat toenail fungus. Gentian violet contains both antibacterial and antifungus properties, which means that originally, it is meant to treat fungi and bacteria infections of which toenail fungus is among.
However, there are lots of over-the-counter products and natural ways of treating nail infection without having to make use of Gentian violet which can leave stains on your nails.
Does Gentian violet wash out of hair?
Yes, Gentian violet will wash out of hair. Although there’s no actual timeline as to when Gentian violet will completely wash out of hair.
However, the general rule is that, depending on how damaged your hair is, it could take up to 4 to 9 washes before it can be completely gone.
Just have it in the back of your mind that, how far damaged your hair is will determine how quickly the dye can be removed.
Does Gentian violet dry out your hair?
No, Gentian violet will not dry out your hair. Although there are some side effects to applying Gentian violet on hair or any other part of the body. However, hair dryness is not one of the side effects.
Some side effects that may occur at the application site may include, Swelling, redness, and irritation.
How many times can you use Gentian violet for thrush?
Although there’s no specific study on how often Gentian violet can be applied as a treatment for thrush.
However, the general rule for applying antifungal medicine on thrush is that it must not be applied beyond 2 times in 6 months without consultation with a pharmacist or a specialist.
How much Gentian violet to add to shampoo?
For a maximum whitening effect, add only one drop of Gentian violet to a bottle of shampoo or conditioner.
For specifics, add only a drop of Gentian violet to 500 milliliters of a shampoo bottle. Stir thoroughly until the mixture has only one color. Adding more than one drop will either impact negatively on your hair or may not yield the desired result.
Would you like to learn how to remove silver nitrate stains from skin or how to remove ferric chloride stains from skin too?