Nicotine, or the remaining residues of the smoking activities, may look harmless on woods. However, these substances can pose dangers to our health. So, how to clean nicotine off wood?
As there are many wooden-based materials, we’re going to guide you to clean nicotine off the specific wooden materials, such as wooden furniture, paneling, cabinets, floors, and blinds.
We’ll start with a more detailed explanation on whether cigarette smokes, the origins of nicotine affect wooden-based furniture.
Does wood furniture absorb cigarette smoke
No. Wood furniture can’t and won’t absorb cigarette smoke, including nicotine.
The more unpolished the wood furniture is, the more unlikely it will absorb the unpleasant odors coming from the cigarette smoke. Such things happen because the sawdust in the wood furniture can’t eliminate the smoke odors while trapping the odors inside the materials.
Is nicotine in wood furniture hard to clean
No. Even though wood furniture can’t absorb cigarette smoke, it’s not hard to clean up the nicotine that remains in wood furniture. In particular, the cleaning activities will come up easier if we know the ways and the things we need to prepare.
If we want to clean nicotine off from our wood furniture, the first thing we want to ensure is to open up the windows and doors of our rooms. We need to do such actions to ensure the areas are well-ventilated.
How to clean nicotine off wood furniture
At some points, you might want to bring your affected furniture outdoor. The nicotine will go away when you do so. Place a bowl of coffee ground inside the drawer while you clean the nicotine off.
Then, follow these steps, so you can brush away the nicotine that remains on your wood furniture with vinegar and water:
- Use fine steel wool to buff the nicotine grains on your wood furniture until they’re gone.
- If the nicotine grains haven’t gone yet, scrape them with the knife’s edge.
- Use a measuring cup to measure the vinegar and water. Make sure the ratio between vinegar and water is 1:8.
- Put the water-based vinegar solution into a spraying bottle.
- Spray the mixture on the side parts of your furniture. Let it be for at least 5 minutes.
- Use a dry, soft cloth to wipe the sprays.
Alternatively, these are the steps for you if you decide to use a solution from cigarette ashes:
- Repeat the previous Step 1 and Step 2.
- Mix cigarette ashes with one or two drops of linseed oil to form a cleaning paste.
- Dip a soft cloth into the cleaning paste.
- Rub the dip to the affected areas.
- Repeat Step 4 in this cigarette ash guide until you finished working on the affected areas.
- Use another dry and soft cloth to brush away the excess oil.
How to clean nicotine off wood paneling
To clean up nicotine on the wood paneling, you need to prepare a sponge and some natural cleaning ingredients, such as white vinegar, lemon juice, or ammonia.
Specifically, following these steps will help you to brush away the nicotine from your wood paneling:
- Scrub the paneling by using a sponge that you’ve plunged into a dishwasher liquid.
- Rinse and wipe the soapy elements thoroughly using clean water.
- Use a soft rag to dry the paneling.
- Open up the windows and turn on your fans or air conditioners (if any).
- Mix white vinegar, lemon juice, and ammonia in a separate bowl. Dip the sponge into the mixture.
- Use the dipped sponge to wipe the paneling from the bottom to the upper parts.
- Repeat Step 2 and 3 until there are no more nicotine remains.
How to clean nicotine off wood cabinets
Brushing away the unpleasant sour smells from nicotine on our kitchen cabinets requires us to ventilate the kitchen areas as much as possible. You need to follow these steps:
- Mix ammonia and warm water in a separate bowl.
- Dip a dry cloth inside the bowl. Use it to scrub the affected cabinet parts.
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to your water-based vinegar solution. Put the mixture in a spraying bottle.
- Spray the mixture on the areas that you’ve scrubbed with ammonia.
- Prepare another measuring cup to make the bleach versus warm water’s ratio become 1:4.
- Test some areas of the cabinets to ensure no damage from the bleach.
- Wipe away using a dry and soft towel after rubbing the bleach solution.
How to clean nicotine off wood floor
Vinegar and water can be the solutions to brush nicotine away from other wooden-based materials, but not for wood floors. In particular, follow these instructions, so you know what to do:
- Remove carpets, mats, or other similar items, from the floor before you clean up.
- Mix baking soda and water to make a cleaning paste.
- Scrub the cleaning paste around the tiles with an old toothbrush.
- Vacuum the scrubbed areas two or three times.
- Mop the tiles by using a mop that you plunge into a bucket of water.
- Dry for at least 5 minutes.
How to clean nicotine off wood blinds
The blinds have unique characteristics that impact the ways you should follow in eliminating nicotine odors from them. These are the steps:
- Take your blinds down. Soak them in a large bowl of warm water with a liquid laundry detergent for at least an hour.
- Use a filter to remove the excess water.
- Sponge the blinds with rubbing alcohol. Repeat until there are no traces of nicotine.
- Rinse the blinds with clean water.
- Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe the liquid from each part of the blinds.
By now, you’ve seen cleaning nicotine off from wooden-based properties around your house is not a hard job.
When you follow the steps that we’ve given to you, we’ll assure you that the results will equal your efforts. Finally, you’ll be able to eliminate the unpleasant odors nicotine give to your rooms.