So Can disinfecting wipes grow mold? Well, the short version of that answer to this question would be Yes but let us set some things straight first.
In this day and age, there is hardly anyone that does not use disinfecting wipes every day, especially in the United States of America. A research conducted in 2008 by the Soap and Detergent Association (SDA) revealed that about a total of 71 percent of Americans revealed that they make use of disinfecting wipes one way or the other. This research was known as the Echo Research for the cleaning survey. This survey further revealed that out of the people that used at least one form of disinfecting wipes, 77 percent of them like to keep some containers of wipes at their homes at all times. A large percentage of the people also revealed that they use their disinfecting wipes at least once a day.
A lot of people have come to recognize disinfecting wipes as a huge part of the American fabric lineup in a way because they do not just help keep us healthy; they do so easily and efficiently.
With the level of popularity of disinfecting wipes, it is not hard to guess that it is very effective and practical. A huge number of people have revealed that they use cleaning, disinfecting, or antibacterial wipes because of how portable it is, and another group of people prefers it because of how easy it is to dispose of. The remaining percentage chose to use disinfecting wipes because of its degree of effectiveness when it comes to getting rid of germs.
The claims that disinfecting wipes can get rid of germs is not just backed up by advertisements and statements on the packaging; it has also been proven true by some independent studies. An example of such studies is the one published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology (Via Science Daily), which revealed that cleaning your kitchen counters with disinfecting wipes after cooking poultry will help reduce the possibility of campylobacter food poisoning by 99.2 percent.
As for the question about mold growing on disinfecting wipes, well, the answer is Yes, mold can grow on disinfecting wipes, and this claim has been backed by the statement from the FDA.
A while back, the United States’ FDA (Food and Drug Administration) released a number of tips to ensure the safety of people using the disinfecting wipes. The tips are as follows;
Out of all these tips, the one to watch out for the most is the proper storage. The FDA revealed that when the disinfecting wipes are stored in extreme temperature areas that make them either too hot or too cold, the wipes can dry out, and the ingredients will undergo some changes. This implies that the ingredients responsible for preventing mold and bacteria growth on the disinfecting wipes will break down and be rendered useless. And since the growth of mold and bacteria is faster in warmer places, if your storage location is too hot, there is a great chance the wipes will grow mold.
And although a lot of consumers might find this alarming since disinfecting wipes are supposed to get rid of bacteria, the fact remains that it can grow mold.
A typical disinfecting wipe is made of cotton, rayon fibers, polyester, wood pulp, and polypropylene. The cleaning and moisturizing agents are added to help them disinfect surfaces, but they may contain some other ingredients in the form of preservatives to help prevent the growth of molds and bacteria. In a normal condition, these preservatives will hold up, and the wipes will do their jobs without a problem, but in warmer situations, they may be unable to perform their task and end up causing you issues due to the growth of mold.